[geeks] How fast is Parallels?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 12:38:03 CDT 2006

>From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
>Date: 2006/08/14 Mon PM 12:28:13 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] How fast is Parallels?

>I have the potential for a Windows-based job doing something Really
>Cool. I now have a 1.5GHz 12" PB. If I were to come across the cash
>for a MacBook Pro, is running MS Visual Studio + compilation going to
>be any fun under Parallels Workstation^W Desktop?

I can't speak directly to that combination, but if the underlying hardware is compatible with the emulation software the speed is typically pretty reasonable in my experience. Instead of emulating each insrtuction, the software has to capture and convert O/S (and other) calls into the system - each individual instruction i srun on the underlying hardware.

I think you should get a 2.0 GHz White MacBook w/1.5 Gig of RAM ;^)

Lionel
(no connection to seller, just on my mind as I read this question)