[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Aug 13 10:15:22 CDT 2006

> They also doubled fines in 65 MPH areas to restrain folks. Now, if you get a
> ticket in my area (central NJ), you have to be going about 80 MPH (the ticket is
> only worth the cops time if it is for 15+ MPH over the speed limit), and most
> folks find it possible to stay under 80 MPH on their way to the movies.

I used to drive along 78 and most people drove as if that was the speed limit.
The "staties" would only hassle you if you were driving aggressively ie, switching
lanes quickly especially with no signals.  Rarely did I see car accidents, usually
trucks and another vehicle which is another subject.
> It is illegal but I have never seen anybody pulled over for it that I can
> >positively say it was for that.  The only problem I would have is for my ham
> >radio equipment. Some overzealous rookie might pull that on me.  I think my
> >federal license might trump the state law since it says I can work mobile
> >on the license but I don't want to be the test case. :)  Of course I have
> >a cell phone too and they are different in the way they are used.  The
> >radio is simplex by hardware, cell simplex by usage.  I've found that to
> >make a big difference in attention paid to driving, at least for me.
>
> Your federal license doesn't enter in to it. The law specifically states cell
> phones, the studies the laws are based on do not mention anything other than
> cell phones, and you can use your radios because you are a "trained professional
> radio operator".

Depending how the law is written.  I haven't read the NJ law ("my bad") but in some
states they use "any mobile communication device" rather than cell phone. Again
my license might protect me but it does nail CB radios since they are unlicensed.
NJ is not unknown for writting "bad laws".  The old scanner law was so badly written
that some one could get nailed for having a scanner in their car...even if was still
in the box, in the trunk, as they are bringing it home from Radio Shaft!  They were
even nailing ham radio operators because most VHF/UHF equipment could listen out of
band and had scanning features.  Luckily, that got fixed.

> >That could be done.  Detect RF in that part of the spectrum and start snapping
> pictures.
>
> Sure, the photos would be the basis for the complaint against the driver, and
> their cell phone records could be obtained to confirm the cell phone activity (I
> was just holding it up to my head, I wasn't on the phone!).

heh,heh!

> >Like that's a bad thing?  I've been thinking a designing a cell phone jammer
> for
> >my immediate area (radius 25').  Might help with the knuckleheads driving and
> for
> >me not being looked at like an idiot because I thought someone jabbering on a
> cell
> >phone in a store with the earpiece (corded or bluetooth) was actually talking
> >me.  Now I can't tell if these people are actually crazy, have a cell phone or
> >both!
>
> Put me down for one as well - I'd love a device that would disrupt the signal
> long enough to interfere with on-going conversations (triggered and to emit a
> timed pulse long enough to break the call, without causing too many health
> problems for me) - I hope it wouldn't be, in effect, a spark-gap transmitter
> operating in the near-microwave spectrum!
>
> A bluetooth zapper could be fun as well for headset jockeys, but that has no
> legal standing, it would just be fun.

Only problem is that it violates FCC (I think) and the cell phone industry would
be up in arms.  Although I've heard rumors that some office buildings in NYC have
them because it would be too easy for "corporate espionage" to occur.  My idea was
nothing more than a cell phone receiver with an awfully noisy superregen front end.
(inset demonic snickerng and laugther)

> Manners would be a great thing to teach in school if not in the home...
>
> Lionel

We try.
Unfortunately, the "powers that be" would rather have us prepare the kids for all
of those alphabet soup tests the kids MUST pass rather than prepare them for life.

Bob