[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Janet Campbell janet at foonly.com
Sat Aug 12 19:03:55 CDT 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Side note:  When I lived in Spokane, Washington and drove a rather
> highly tuned 1970 Camaro SS350, I had to learn to shift into neutral
> whenever approaching a light or stop-sign in winter, because on a snowy
> or icy road, with 350BHP and 388 lb.ft of torque on tap, it was
> impossible to apply enough braking effort on the rear wheels to overcome
> the idle torque of the engine without locking up the front wheels.

This sounds like a classic case of a misadjusted (or missing) brake
proportioning valve.  Especially with a mixed disc/drum setup, it's
important to get things balanced properly.

The usual suspects for high performance classic V8/auto vehicles (lumpier
cams, single plane manifolds, high stall converters) all tend to decrease
idle torque, so unless your idle was cranked way up it probably wasn't the
problem.

-janet [misses her Duster 340]