[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Aug 12 12:57:19 CDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 05:57:52PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:

> I guess that US rules on 'yellow' (we call it 'amber') are somewhat
> different to the UK rules, because 'stop unless you're too close to the
> line to stop safely' is unlikely to result in greater profits if you cut
> the time on amber. Of course 'increase speed to avoid getting stopped by
> a red' as commonly practised would tend to increase profits.

Presumably some people feel it would be unsafe to stop, but if the amber
is shortened would be unable to cross through before red.

I've had that happen to me in bad weather where I don't want to try to
stop quickly in the snow but am going slowly enough that I don't clear
the intersection before it turns red.  So far that hasn't happened to me
at an intersection with red light cameras, thankfully.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/