[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Nick B. nick at pelagiris.org
Fri Aug 11 17:09:22 CDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:01:24PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> Of course reducing fatal accidents at red lights isn't the only reason
> to stop people jumping them. Non-fatal accidents occur rather more
> frequently and cost quite a bit in terms of disruption. And I'm sure
> those who've had a nasty shock from a near miss with a light jumper
> would be happy if the jumper were due to get a nastygram.
>
> > It's not about safety.  It's about tax collection.
>
> At least in the UK, reports (at least one by the government and another
> by independent researchers) indicate that speed cameras *are* improving
> safety.
Well, at least in the US nearly all traffic cams are there to increase
profit.
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/687.asp
That's just the first instance I found, and while DC is the worst (they nearly
always shorten the yellow to boost profits) they are not alone.  In VA the
increase is closer to 70% overall.  I personally think this is criminal, as
the politicians have traded the safety which they are in theory protecting
for additional money to waste, but then I'm pretty much anti-anything-government
 due to issues like this.  I would like to know how folks are naive to trust
their governments after a few thousand instances like this..
	Nick