[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Aug 11 16:21:58 CDT 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:08:40 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse wrote:
> > My instinctive reaction on hearing people complain about speed
> > cameras being used for revenue raising is 'So?'.
>
> Depends on the grounds for the complaints.  If they are being sold to
> the public as being for safety but are really there for revenue, then
> I think the public does have legitimate grounds for complaint.

I did say instinctive reaction. Trouble is that it's an easy accusation
to make that cameras are there for revenue rather than safety. In some
cases it may even be true, but not I suspect as frequently as some
claim.

> > [...].  But if you don't want to get fined, don't speed!
>
> This would be more persuasive if it were more realistic.  There are a
> lot of pieces of road (at least in North America) where - at many

I'm not aware of such roads in the UK ... although they could exist. I
tend to be more interested in urban roads which I use more frequently.
Motorways (or freeways) probably should have the limit raised from 70mph
which was a limit determined based on the stopping distances of cars in
the 1960s!