[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Aug 11 15:01:24 CDT 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:54:35 -0500 (CDT), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
[Missing attribution]
> >> I'm sure each "speeder cam" is really a source of revenue,
> >

> That's because they were put into place to be a revenue source, rather
> than to increase public safety.

My instinctive reaction on hearing people complain about speed cameras
being used for revenue raising is 'So?'. After all speeding is against
the law so motorists who break the law have no leg to stand on when they
start complaining.

Yes there's sometimes issues with the accuracy of speed cameras, and yes
there's sometimes particularly tricky placement of camera. But if you
don't want to get fined, don't speed!

In the UK at least the revenue from speed cameras is returned to a
national body which allows participating bodies to request grants for
the running costs of cameras, installation of new cameras, and other
road safety issues.

There are those who question whether the funds really are being
targeted at speed enforcement but oddly enough they tend to be groups
who oppose speed limits to some extent.

> Austin is considering red-light cameras all over the city to reduce
> the number of fatalities at intersections due to people running red
> lights, at the cost of several million dollars.  When pressed (at a
> city council meeting) for actual numbers, the folks behind that
> movement admitted that there were only three such accidents in the
> last year.

Of course reducing fatal accidents at red lights isn't the only reason
to stop people jumping them. Non-fatal accidents occur rather more
frequently and cost quite a bit in terms of disruption. And I'm sure
those who've had a nasty shock from a near miss with a light jumper
would be happy if the jumper were due to get a nastygram.

> It's not about safety.  It's about tax collection.

At least in the UK, reports (at least one by the government and another
by independent researchers) indicate that speed cameras *are* improving
safety.

Of course it could be the UK is doing something more effective than
others for a change :)