[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 10 14:38:51 CDT 2006

Fri, 11 Aug 2006 @ 01:11 +1000, Scott Howard said:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:06:00AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > > There was a weblog post a week or two ago about one of the guys at Sun
> > > who had a bad disk and didn't notice - because RAID-Z / ZFS kept the
> > > data intact...  I'll see if I can dig it up.
> >
> > Better yet, dig up some reason why this is a good thing.
>
> You're right! Having corrupt data and not realising is a far better option
> than not having corrupt data and not realising!
>
> (The only reason he wouldn't have noticed the problem was that he wasn't
> monitoring the system - that's hardly a fault of the software!)

Quit being a smartass, and try just being smart enough to answer the
question.

The original statement seems to have been incorrect.

The implication, which has been questioned several times and hasn't
recieved non-religious answers, is how is it good that errors are
silent?

Obviously what was said, isn't what was meant: ZFS is *NOT* silent about
data errors, but that is certainly what some people were saying.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any