[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Aug 10 06:56:15 CDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 07:38:43PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Why *not* do it this way?
>
>    1) Cutting a disk into slices is a Good Thing.  Sometimes, different
>       slices need different filesystems.  Why should only the ZFS
>       filesystems get the RAID benefits?

So cut it into slices.  ZFS doesn't stop you doing that. You can run ZFS
on top of either a whole disk, just a slice, or even a VM device if you
want.

>    2) It complicates system administration.  Some filesystems are defined
>       as slices mounted in places according to /etc/vfstab.  Some
>       filesystems are now defined in wherever ZFS retains its
>       configuration.

OK, this is a somewhat fair cop at the moment. It will change once you
can use ZFS for root disks, but even until then it's an acceptable
overhead in my mind. The minimal amount this complicates sysadmin work
is far, far outweighed by the fact that most of the rest of ZFS
simplifies admin.

> > I *like* setting up an eight-disk RAID-5 array with ONE COMMAND.
>
> That's why we have shell scripts.

bawhahhaw..  that's a good one.

Ohh.. wait.. you're serious?

  Scott