[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Aug 10 02:58:54 CDT 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Mike Meredith wrote:

> You haven't read the documentation have you ? This can be done with
> ZFS ... either use the raw disk devices (and lose RAID) or create
> virtual devices on ZFS filesystems that UFS/Oracle/Swap/Whatever can
> use.

When I last looked at and used ZFS a couple months ago, documentation
ranged from scant to non-existant.  Man pages didn't seem to explain
anything like that.

>>    2) It complicates system administration.  Some filesystems are
>>    defined
>>       as slices mounted in places according to /etc/vfstab.  Some
>>       filesystems are now defined in wherever ZFS retains its
>>       configuration.
>
> You haven't read the documentation have you ? Whilst by default zfs
> filesystems are not handled through /etc/vfstab, they can be.

Why shouldn't they be, by default, where all the other filesystems are?
You don't use the 'nfs' command to mount remote volumes, or the 'pcfs'
command to mount a DOS floppy.  You use the mount command, or stick it
in /etc/vfstab if you want the system to know where stuff goes.

Needless inconsistency is a bug.

> As for complexity, managing storage through zpool/zfs is easier than
> :-
> * AIX volume groups/logical volumes.

Hahahahahahaha.  No.  mkvg/mklv/mkfs, and there you go.  Yes it's three
commands, but they're sensibly delineated by abstraction.  Maintenance
commands are similarly simple.  Just think "what do I want to do?" and
"what do I want to do it do?" and you have your command.

All that and smitty makes smc look like the slow bloated pig that it is.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"