[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Thu Aug 10 01:57:31 CDT 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:31:18 -0500 (CDT), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> >> I'm not familiar with ZFS.  What does it give you besides giant
> >> filesystem/file sizes?  Does it have metadata/data journaling?
> >> Verzioning?  How hard is it to port?
> >
> > It's a combined volume manager and filesystem.
>
> And people keep acting like this is a good thing.  How many other
> abstraction barriers can we violate?

What abstraction barrier violation ? The 'combined' bit of ZFS is mostly
user-interface/misinformation ... pools are managed through zpool, and
filesystems are managed through zfs. Diagrammatically :-

AIX: Devices -> Volume Group <- Logical Volumes
Solaris: Devices -> Pools <- Filesystems

The only oddity is that if you create a pool you get a filesystem for
free.

BTW: If anyone knows someone flying from (and possibly to) the UK
today/next few days, *severe* delays are likely because of a security
alert.