[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Aug 9 20:41:39 CDT 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> The separation of interfaces is a canard,

No, it's good design.  It prevents people from reinventing wheels.

> because no person in their right mind, is going to allow valuable data
> to be stored on a filesystem that is not supported by the OS vendor or
> a third party; as would be possible if you had a defined API and could
> plug in your own code on either the upper or the lower layer.  There
> would be too much finger-pointing.

Ah, you've never run Oracle on a raw-device?

And you don't use paging space?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could do either of the above and get the
benefits of this wonderful RAID-Z crap that Sun is bragging about?

> From a programming standpoint, you still have all the typical
> filesystem calls, working exactly as they do with UFS, right?  And
> that is what 99.99% of Sun's market is going to care about.  THAT is
> the abstraction that matters.

How about they merge the SCSI disk drivers in, too?  I mean, if you have
any disks attached, they're going to have filesystems on them, right?
That's one fewer interface for insane people to plug things into.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"