[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Aug 9 10:12:30 CDT 2006

Mon, 07 Aug 2006 @ 19:11 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> OSX feature:  Xray (part of Xcode)
>
> Xray is a GUI-fication and integration of DTrace from Solaris 10, ported
> to OS X.  Looks very neat.
>
> OSX feature:  Time Machine
> This appears to be, the integration of a nice GUI or Finder-awareness,
> combined with ZFS and its snapshot functionality.

Um, no.

I love it when the Reality Distortion Field is on full power... :)

Jobs is smoothing talking all the new and "innovative" features in the
new OSX release, but the truth is something of them have been around in
other OS for 25 years now.

Time Machine is a very nice GUI on top of a 25 year old technology: file
versioning.  It does seem much more usable than implementations, but it
is nothing new.

The other thing that stuck me about Apple's "new" stuff was Spaces,
which is basically the same virtual desktops that UNIX has had for
almost 20 years now.

Only one new feature of the new OSX looked to be truly new, and that was
the new Core technology.  However, even it is really just a unified
integration of several rather old technologies.

What's doubly funny is not long ago Jobs was railing against Microsoft
for introducing old copycat features and daring to call it innovation.

Pot, kettle, black?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]