[geeks] Dos and similar games

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 5 10:43:59 CDT 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/08/04 Fri AM 09:52:41 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Dos and similar games

>Thu, 03 Aug 2006 @ 13:46 -0400, William Enestvedt said:
>
>> Lionel wrote:
>> >
>> > I dunno, let me check the headers on your posts and see if
>> > you're using an approved mail client. ;^)
>> >
>>    Reminds me of hearing "Papers, please!" on a Swiss train in the late
>> 1980s as we crossed the border.
>>
>>    When you write, "...modern games are too confusing..." I have to
>> agree. Doing so may actually make hair grow out of my ears, but I just
>> don't care for all the...noise.
>
>What is confusing about them?
>
>I find a lot of them are less complex than older games, focusing too
>much on graphics instead of gameplay.
>
>Or do you mean something else?
>
>For example, do you mean something like NeverWinter Night when you say
>"confusing", or just a game with a bad user interface?

Personally, I get confused when there are too many things for a given digit to do - for example, my son's basketball game has not only motion (joystick), but also uses the four top buttons, two triggers, and various combinations to effect certain actions in the game. Compared to Tetris (left or right rotate and "drop"), Space Invaders (left, right, shoot), or even Asteroids (left, right, shoot and accelerate) that basketball game is too complex for me...

But, to be fair, I play video games to relax/unwind and compare my scores to no one - the vast majority of my son's games are "competitive", multi-player games - mine are not.

Lionel