[geeks] Dos and similar games

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Thu Aug 3 22:09:27 CDT 2006

On 8/3/06, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> Let's say you went into a store that was selling a handheld gaming unit that
> played "retro" games, and played some games on it.
>
> The first version would play DOS games, Arcade games, native Linux
> games. Later versions would include (many) Windows games.
>
> Which games would make you want to walk out with it?

Magic Carpet!  Especially if you had wireless networking.  This game
has been begging for a rerelease for far too long.  Including the
stereogram video option is a must.

Worms.  Ditto on the networking.  Not the new fancy-schmancy 3D ones,
the classic Amiga ones.  Turn based.  2D sprites.  Entertaining.
Works well single player and multi-player.  Good for a quick game on a
break or an extended one on long trips.

Wing Commander/Privateer.  I think these would lend themselves very
well to a handheld formfactor, especially the newer handhelds with the
inputs to the sides of the screen (PSP style) rather than under
(GameBoy style).  Don't ask me why, it just feels more natural.  I
remember playing the first ones on my 286 without a mouse, just
keyboard, and they were totally playable and fun.

MAME and removable media that I can put roms on.  Of course, this is
kind of a given.

An SDL port and a development environment.  Then I could build all my
old favorites relatively easily.  Doom.  Quake.  Descent.  Not sure
how well they would be controllable on this thing, I've always had a
hard time playing them without a keyboard/mouse, but maybe somebody
will finally figure out a way to make an FPS playable with joypad
style controls.  Which reminds me.  Why hasn't anybody ever put a
marble sized trackball near the buttons on a handheld?  It just seems
to make so much sense.  Sony came close with the analog control on the
PSP, but they put it on the left hand side.  With the majority of the
world being right handed, wouldn't you put the analog control that
needs fine muscle control on the right side?

> Which games would turn you on, but not enough to buy it right away?

Capcom/SNK fighting games.  I'm a sucker for the Street Fighter II era fighters.

> Which games would turn you off?

Barbie Fashion Designer.  Big Game Hunter.

Yes, they were two of the largest selling games of all time, but I
don't think they have a lot of overlap with the handheld gaming
market.  Of course, I could be wrong, I'm not in marketing.

Cheers,

Caleb