[geeks] Dos and similar games

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Aug 3 18:29:31 CDT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> It all started with a 17 year old who had to get up in the middle of
> his game to answer the call of nature.........

So.... waterproof then?

I would certainly like to see something that offers what other devices don't,
but don't miss out on including some of the popular things they DO offer as well.

Consider a number of popular emulators out there to let you run still more
games.  I have mame, Frodo (a c64 emulator), and a gameboy emulator on
my cellphone although I've never bothered to populate them.  I almost never play
actual xbox games on my xbox.  I play emulated games in mame, nintendo,
etc.  The main xbox game I actually play is the Atari Anthology which
is Atari games.  Some of the Atari 2600 games have nearly painful pixel
sizes on a 1080i tv screen but some of the Atari arcade games with vector
graphics look wonderful.  Tempest in 1080i is sweet!

For a small portable device I enjoy the odd minute here and there with something
I can pick up for a while and resume right where I left off.  I mostly play card
and dice games on my cellphone with the odd puzzle game I can find thrown in.
I've moved from sudoku to kakuro now.  I used to think sudoku was addictive...

I guess it depends on your target market.  As much screen as you can get without
making the device too bulky or too fragile is a must if you want us visually-impaired
over-21 crowd to buy them.  I like the idea of the Nintendo DS for more screen real
estate but it doesn't feel very refined to me.

If it's somehow hackable to run Linux (and/or a BSD!) you'll sell some more devices
but I guess it depends on whether you hope to make money from selling the devices
or selling/licensing games.  Microsoft hasn't made much off my xbox purchase.  :)

-DanD

# "Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "If it was so, it might be; and if it
# were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. Thats logic."