[geeks] Education (was: Mainframe on eBay)

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Sep 22 03:26:23 CDT 2005

Just to throw my $.02 in...

I used to whole heartedly believe that schools can't replace good
parenting, and that parents should have a greater responsibility in
their child's education. That was back when I lived in more
metropolitan areas (NYC suburb, and Ft Laud FL). Now that I live in a
rural area, I've seen ignorance on a level I once wouldn't believe
still existed in the US! I've met many people that are illiterate but
that are intelligent none the less, but now I've also seen really
stupid ones too. As an example, when I first moved up here I ran a
small cab company for a short while, and one woman that used to call
for rides was truly amazing. One time I picked her up, and she had
her tax return in hand, and she tells me "I got to go down to place
where they give out food, (a local food bank) so they can read the
words on this here paper the government sent me tellin them to give
me free food" Another time I picked her up, we went to the elementary
school to pickup her "young'un" (not sure if he was a child, or grand
child) After we pick him up, she says that she wants to stop at the
store where they sell you money on credit (a cash advance like
place), when I asked where it was, she pointed toward a strip of
stores, and the kids says "the one with the sign on it that says C R
O W N" (the place is called Crown Credit) to which the woman says "My
young'un is real smart, he can read his letters real good"

My point is: While I can sort of understand her being illiterate,
she's ignorant as well, and as such, what chance does she have of
guiding her kid's education ANY? And she's not the only person around
here in her state of education (or lack of), I've since met quite a
few people that a 3rd grade education would be an improvement!

On the main street in town, as you get toward the western edge of
town is a big billboard, with a public service message on it, and it
has a picture of a kitchen stove on it, and it says something to the
effect of: "The kitchen stove should only be used for cooking the
family meals", and I passed it many many times, and each time
wondered what the heck that's supposed to mean. I finally asked
somebody about it, and they told me that it's a common form of
discipline / punishment to burn kids with the stove's burners! I was
amazed. I don't know if that's only a country thing, or if it's
common in cities as well, but that was the first time I'd ever heard
of it!

-Mike