[geeks] [Fwd: [IP] Red Cross needs network security tech volunteers]

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun Sep 11 21:05:07 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 21:30, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 11:59, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> >
> >>If you can help, or know of people who can . . .
> >

> > Someone should tell the Red Cross about KNOPPIX when used in combination with a DHCP server - instant, foolproof, secure deployment.
>
> Which works but then you've got volunteers coming in to work on the
> machines who don't know KNOPPIX or that funny LINUX stuff - they (I
> cojecture) need to fill out Word docs, print forms and so on with
> minimal / no training.  Everyone savys Windows.
>
> Yah, I know, OpenOffice, GhostView.  I'm not saying you're wrong, you're
> right.

The last time I tried Knoppix, it had both OpenOffice and ghostview installed.

I *think* you can use DHCP to automatically set up printer queue's, but am not sure.  Then you only need to set up one machine to serve up printers and have every other machine use lpr to send the jobs off.

Besides, they should be doing a lot of Web apps these days instead of Windows, anyways.

--Patrick
/armchair quarterback
//YMMV. HAND.
///like slashes