[geeks] HP announces EOL for AlphaServer systems

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 10 17:49:24 CST 2005

[ I hope there are no HTML-turds in here, but I'm playing with KDE and
answering this post with KMail, and can't seem to find specific options to
disable all non-standard, non-ascii email options ]

On Thursday 10 November 2005 02:06, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >>Maybe in high end stuff.  My son's school required him(us) to
> >>by one of their laptops (through the school).  $2200 and
> >>it's a piece of s**t.  My HP zv6131 runs rings around it
> >>for half the price.  Even my 3GX doesn't suck as much. :)
> >
> > That's interesting, because when I helped manage a fleet of laptops, the
> > IBMs were among the most reliable.
>
> I agree with you.
> All computers fail, especially laptops, but IBM's tend to be "less
> unreliable" than others == better design.

It seems like the new ones might not be though.

> I'm NOT counting their crappy harddrives, which they sold to Hitachi,
> which continues to produce the same crap.
> (The Travelstars are dying one after the other here)

Hmmm... I never had anything but good luck with IBM drives.  Of course, I only
ever used their Ultrastar drives.  I've got some with many years on them, and
they are still flawless.  Noisy and hot, but flawless.

I think IBM's drive problems were mostly limited to their Deskstar and other
cheaper models.