[geeks] Can I netboot...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Nov 9 15:01:48 CST 2005

On Nov 9, 2005, at 2:41 PM, Michael Parson wrote:

>> Okay, that's enough - I'll quit violating the list's coolness
>> threshold for now. Must remember that my own definition of coolness is
>> obviously not dogmatical enough to be adequate here :-(.
>
> It's not really that your project isn't cool enough for us here, at
> least, I don't really think that's all it.  The core of your problem is
> that the networking stack in Windows 95 just isn't up to the task
> you're
> asking of it.  Win9x just wasn't a server platform, even XP Home would
> do a better job than 95.
>
> If you want to do sparc programming and netboot it, you're simply
> going to need a different boot server than an old Microsoft offering.
> Hardware of your vintage isn't going to run newer MS OSes very well,
> and if you insist on sticking with them, you might want to give NT 4.0
> (sp6a?) a shot.  You'll have much more flexibility in doing server-like
> work than 95 is capable of.

Indeed Arno.  I will agree here.  There are oodles of people who most
likely would send you a simple box that could act as a netboot server
for little or no money.  Cost of shipping sort of stuff.  I
unfortunately have recently cleaned house which makes me sound like a
hypocrite.  Sorry. :-(

Failing that you could load up any cheap x86 box with enough drive
space and sit it in the corner headless or anywhere you could run power
and network cable/wireless signal.  Those boxes are often thrown away
on trash day and make wonderful special purpose boxes.

Oh and if noise is an issue?  Get an old iMac.  They boot various PPC
versions of Linux/OpenBSD/NetBSD and are easily capable of sitting in a
corner making no noise for months.  The downside is that an iMac _is_ a
"head" but *shrug*.  Those also can be found cheaply - especially the
old "bondi" 233 tray-load models.  More than enough for what you need
and if the tube dies - stick it in another case and move on.

One more thing you want to ask people about and research -
Javastations.  Most of these only run by netbooting.  The people that
run these will most likely be able to answer your questions though they
might have the same puzzlement as to why you're using a Win95 box to
netboot when there are much simpler options.

Is that a better answer for you?  It's not that we don't want to help -
it's just that I think the majority of us don't consider Microsoft
worth anything more than the coaster it's printed on.  And Windows 95
is especially bad.

Mike Hebel
----
All people have a sanctuary which must never be touched. A scar of
sadness which must never be tred upon. The cooperation formed by the
living to realize a dream or achieve an ideal. The man with the white
coat told me in a quiet voice that he had finally found me, that he
wanted my life. That man smiled a smile deeper than darkness. Legato
Bluesummers, a man fascinated by death, only spoke quietly.- Vash