[geeks] Can I netboot a SPARCclassic from Win95 box?

geeks at litfire.com geeks at litfire.com
Tue Nov 8 09:06:04 CST 2005

Michael Parson said:
> Arno: I don't know if you've got a CD rom or not in that machine, or if
> a system of that vintage could boot off it if it did, but I would maybe
> recommend one of the 'Live CD' distributions of Linux or *BSD, maybe
> Knoppix Linux.  Boot off it, get it configured with enough stuff to
> boot your Sun, then get an OS loaded on it.  Once you've got the local
> OS running on your Sparc, you can reboot your Pentium system back into
> Windows 95, no harm to the existing OS at all.

Using a live CD, he'd need to put the code he's booting from on a floppy or
something, since he's doing his development in Windows.

He doesn't want to use the disk on the Sparc, and he's trying to netboot his
own kernel stuff.

Essentially he's just frustrating himself in public instead of mowing lawns
or shoveling snow or building web pages for hire because he prefers to try
to figure out how to do things the hard way rather than just get the job
done.  I can appreciate taking time to pull off a cool hack, but nothing
involving Windows 95 on a P90 is a cool hack.

--
My main general purpose computer is an original IBM 90MHz Pentium-I machine
running under Windows 95; I do not intend to change this setup and I'd like

In order to ease the coding/compiling/testing cycle, and to avoid using the
darn noisy yet intact harddisk of the SPARCclassic, I'd need to have it boot
my images off the developement machine via Ethernet.
--

-Anthony