[geeks] Finally! A USB "Model M"

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Nov 4 00:29:13 CST 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 07:10:57PM -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> The Matthias TactilePro uses the same key switches and is USB.
> I believe you can find it for around $20 less than that.  Caveat: it's
> white, and designed for Macs, so it still doesn't have the "Correct
> Key Layout", but it does have the advantage of the USB power
> button, has the Mac eject key, and has a smaller footprint than the
> one your url points to.

I have two Tactile Pros.  (and one Kensington Studioboard Mechanical, which
is EXACTLY the same except for a differently-shaped Enter key).  They're
actually made by STRONG MAN ENTERPRISE CO LTD.:

http://www.strong-man.com.tw/p01.htm

I love them, but they're JUST TOO NOISY.

I've recently replaced the Tactile Pros on both my iMac G5 at home and
my Mac Mini at work, with old Apple Extended Keyboard IIs connected through
a Griffin iMate (ADB to USB adapter).  You can get the keyboard + iMate
combo for $26.99:

http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=44497&c=522218&i=18199250

(or just go to www.betamacs.com and click on "Input Devices" on the left)

Once you've got the iMate, replacement/spare Extended IIs are $6.99.

My ONLY complaint about the E2s is the same complaint I have about most of
the older Apple ADB keyboards - the "touch typing locator dots" are on the
D and K keys instead of the F and J keys like EVERY OTHER KEYBOARD IN THE
KNOWN UNIVERSE.  For touch typists, this is a BAD thing.  Fortunately, a
couple minutes with a razor blade or the tip of a pocketknife, then a
few swipes with some very fine sandpaper (or one of the "sanding blocks"
my wife uses for her fingernails) gets rid of them completely.

The Tactile Pros are "clackaclackaclakca".  Model Ms go "CLICKACLICKACLICKA".
Extended IIs have a pleasant "THUNKATHUNKATHUNKA".

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas