[geeks] Vis-a-Vis that discussion about Desktop Hoggishness...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 31 19:48:33 CST 2005

Thu, 31 Mar 2005 @ 17:21 -0500, Nadine said:

> http://www.maubi.net/mozilla/memory.html
>
> An analysis of gtkEmbed leakiness.  Unfortunately, no obvious
> date/version listed.

Interesting.  I've done some long-term tracking and found leaks, but
didn't bother identifying what was leaking.

Something else I saw that this report doesn't mention is a large number
of shared memory areas that are unused but not removed.  It's not as
bad in later releases, where I found as many as 190 unused but still
allocated SysV shared memory segments.

Aside:

One real PITA is that it can be hard to account for all allocated memory
on a UNIX system, and Linux seems especially bad.

I think memory stat tools should be able to fully account for allocated
memory, in both system and applications.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any