[geeks] OSX Server

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Mar 19 17:34:02 CST 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sat, 19 Mar 2005 @ 10:53 -0800, Phil Stracchino said:
>>And people I know wonder why I consider Gnome harmful.
>
> Have you looked at the C++ relink issues in KDE?

No, I've never done any KDE development.

Did you ever try to build Gnome from source, without an existing Gnome
install to build against, during its period of having *vertical*
cross-dependencies?  I still don't know what they were thinking.

> I can't believe I'm saying this, but I want Motif back...

I still don't do ANYTHING on my machine that can't, or could not, be
done with fvwm and GTK+.  I need Gnome like a fish needs a bicycle.

But remember the Billster's claim that Linux is viral?  Well, Linux
isn't .... but Gnone *IS* viral.  It gets into everything.  It's getting
hard to find any nontrivial desktop application for Linux that you can
even INSTALL without having a full Gnome installation, let alone run.
And the damned thing is spreading to other Unixen.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
  phil.stracchino at ceva-dsp.com