[geeks] Sun Blade 100 Redux

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 13:14:02 CST 2005

I was finally successful in getting OpenBSD installed without
resorting to a new NIC.  Since it was going to be a few days
to get that, I defied the Network BOFH's and slapped a un-
managed 10/100 switch under my desk (camouflaged under
a box as a "footrest"), and it no longer hangs the NIC.

Also, after reading the Sparc OpenBSD docs, I discovered
that the kernel panic I got was actually as a result of the install
process not playing nicely with the USB keyboard and mouse.
*doh*  "Please use a serial console for installation."  RTFM
sysadmin.

Anyway...now I am having zippo luck getting X running.  Actually,
that's not true--X is running, but I can't see it...  I have read the
specs on the web, the manual for the Sun 18" LCD, and used the
numbers from the "info menu" on the monitor itself  and set the
XF86Config to the proper range/individual settings, but I am still
getting a blank monitor and the "sync unsupported" on the LCD
display when X fires up.

It's a GH18PS, apparently a rebadged Samsung.  Google is showing
up next to nada, and my fiddling hasn't gotten me anywhere.  I'm no
XFree expert, but that config file doesn't look like rocket science--
anyone have any clue bats to whack me with as to other resources to
check?

Thanks in advance...

=Nadine=