[geeks] OSX Server

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Wed Mar 16 11:27:22 CST 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 21:20, velociraptor wrote:

> Apparently in 'books, this is activated by a magnet/reed switch.

Yeah, i just had to have mine replaced.  Much like my kids, my
powerbook refused to go to sleep and wake up when it's supposed to.
They also replaced the DC board and logic board, though they didn't
tell me why.

For some odd reason, the first step in any hardware repair with these
guys is "Install the version of the OS that originally shipped on the
machine".  AUGH.  I did a full backup before I sent it off, and got an
ibook as a loaner while it was gone.  Happily, the ibook has a "Setup
Assistant" that grabs your home dir and applications from your old
machine, so all was well for the two weeks it took to get the PowerBook
back.

Unfortunately, the PowerBook doesn't come with the same utility, nor
will the Setup Assistant from the iBook run on it.  So I restored from
the backup, but then i wanted all the stuff I'd done on the iBook in
the meantime, so I've been trying like hell to merge it all, and having
no luck at all.  :(

I just did an "Archive and Install" of the OS, and everything seems to
be working as it should, for the most part, but now I've got to
reinstall a whole bunch of software and customization I'd done over the
year and a half I've had this thing.  :/

Bleh.

</venting>

---sambo