[geeks] Mac OS X packages - from whence?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Mar 16 07:19:06 CST 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 12:35 AM, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

> I am now the proud owner of a 12" PowerBook, a -very- suprising
> birthday gift. I love it.
>
> One thing I'm not sure of, though, is where to get my UNIX packages.
> There's fink, darwinports, pkgsrc, gentoo/portage, and osxgnu (and
> possibly more of which I am not aware). Does anyone have any
> particular one to recommend over the others, or does it particularly
> matter?

I have found that, with OS X 10.3, you really don't need much extra.
With 10.1, yeah, you needed some sort of "ports" package to get things
going, but since 10.3 came out, everyone seems to making OS X binaries
available.  Also, Apple has been including a *bunch* of the GNU crap
(like gcc) in the base OS, and stuff seems to build just fine.  I can't
recall the last time I had a problem building *sane* code under OS X.

--
Kurt Huhn         "A rebel I came, and I'll die just the same
kurt at k-huhn.com    On the cold winds of night you will find me"