[geeks] Disk images

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Tue Mar 15 23:51:26 CST 2005

Lionel Peterson wrote:

>>From: Atom <rescue at port11.net>
>>Date: 2005/03/15 Tue PM 09:15:48 GMT
>>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>Subject: Re: [geeks] Disk images
>>

>>I will try the network thing next. Right now the machines are very
>>limited. They are older K6-400's rugged trunk-mount computers for
>>policecars.
>>

>Interesting - around here, the cops all have laptops in their cars...

The laptop's here would get stolen.

>>They don't have anything besides serial and pcmcia and a floppy drive.
>>So I will need to build a linux distro that fits on one floppy and have
>>drivers for 10/100 pcmcia nic and wifi.
>>

>Uh, how will you do that? One floppy?
>
>Why not Knoppix on a 1 Gig PCMCIA card? Is PCMCIA CD-ROM drive an option? Do these have HDs inside, or is the PCMCIA slot the mass storage device for the system?

The PCMCIA card slots are a bit flaky. Some cards work, some dont.
Having massive issues getting the Flarion-OFDM cards to work.

There are a few linux distro's that fit on 1 floppy. Have to look into a
few ones to see if I can find one that has what I need.

-- Thomas