[geeks] OSX Server

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 19:54:07 CST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:25:54 -0500, sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2005, at 15:20, Olaf Mersmann wrote:
>
> > Afaik you can't run Powerbooks with their lid closed unless you screw
> > over OS X. But he was basically circumventing that "protective
> > measure" by keeping it just open. Kinda makes you worry when a few
> > extra cents for hardware is traded in for more software madness to
> > monitor the machines health.
>
> Powerbooks run just fine with the lid closed.  They're meant to.  Plug
> in a USB keyboard and mouse, hook up an external monitor and leave it
> shut.  It works just fine.
>
> Also,  my Powerbook is almost ALWAYS on, except when I throw it in my
> backpack.  No harm done so far from it.  There are warm spots, but
> nothing too hot to touch.
>
> I think the concern is a holdover from Wallstreet days, when a closed
> lid really did make a difference.

And I'm not quite sure about that OS X server business frying the
'books, either.  Two MacWorlds ago, I attended the IT panels, and
damned near all the IT panel speakers were running server on their
laptops, and none reported hardware troubles that I am aware of.

Of course, they are not your average user who leaves the open, running
'book lying on something cozy like a bedspread, but still.

=Nadine=