[geeks] OSX Server

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Tue Mar 15 14:51:05 CST 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 2:25 PM, sammy ominsky wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2005, at 15:20, Olaf Mersmann wrote:
>
>> Afaik you can't run Powerbooks with their lid closed unless you screw
>> over OS X. But he was basically circumventing that "protective
>> measure" by keeping it just open. Kinda makes you worry when a few
>> extra cents for hardware is traded in for more software madness to
>> monitor the machines health.
>
> Powerbooks run just fine with the lid closed.  They're meant to.  Plug
> in a USB keyboard and mouse, hook up an external monitor and leave it
> shut.  It works just fine.
>
> Also,  my Powerbook is almost ALWAYS on, except when I throw it in my
> backpack.  No harm done so far from it.  There are warm spots, but
> nothing too hot to touch.

Agreed - my G4 spent several months working with it's lid shut during
working hours, no apparent harm done.  I noticed the keyboard was
'warm' at the end of the day .. which (system issues aside) ain't  a
bad thing in Wisconsin, in the winter.

Query - the G4 has been 'on' for several months now, and rebooted only
when required to for system updates.  Is it a wiser policy to power it
down if I know I'm not going to need it overnight?  She spends the day
on my desk, home in a laptop bag and then on my desk at home until the
next working day.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator II
Desk: (920) 751-3364