[geeks] LED home lighting project

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Mar 15 07:12:07 CST 2005

-------------- Original message from Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>: --------------

> For some time I've been wanting to build some light systems for various
> areas at home, using LEDs.
>
> For example, lighting the front of things like A/V equipment, computer
> equipment, closets, and various places like that.
>
> The traditional home lighting stuff is too bulky, and I don't like
> things like the "light strings".
>
> The only things I have found small enough and bright enough, have been
> things like automotive spot lamps for clipping in the car, or various
> light decorations for computers.
>
> The automotive stuff is battery powered, and I'd hate to buy a bunch and
> cut them up to run DC wiring.
>
> The computer stuff is usually overpriced, or not quite the right thing
> for lighting an area or piece of equipment.
>
> I also would like to keep the lights hidden, or at least small.
>
> I've done some experiments which were OK, so now I'm looking to do
> something more permanent.
>
> Ideas or sources appreciated.
>
> --
> shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
> low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]

I would check out the luxeon leds.  There are 0.5, 1, 3, and 5 watt versions.  I have
a 3 W flashlight using one and that thing is damn bright for one led.  I've also
checked out eBay for white led and found a lot of relatively high output leds.
There are also 120 V led "light bulbs" but all the ones I've found are extremely
dim and don't have a long lifetime except one that seems to be  equivilent to a
15 watt incandescent and a pair has lasted in the light fixture over the front
door for about a couple of months now.

Bob