[geeks] LED home lighting project

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Mar 14 20:14:11 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 19:08 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> For some time I've been wanting to build some light systems for various
> areas at home, using LEDs.
>
> For example, lighting the front of things like A/V equipment, computer
> equipment, closets, and various places like that.
>
> The traditional home lighting stuff is too bulky, and I don't like
> things like the "light strings".

Traditional stuff being MR-11 and MR-16 fixtures?  These are about 1.5"
to 2" in diameter, respectively.  You can get LED lenses for those
sizes, but if you're looking smaller, there are other ways to go.

> The only things I have found small enough and bright enough, have been
> things like automotive spot lamps for clipping in the car, or various
> light decorations for computers.

What are you figuring on "bright enough"?  I have just completed an LED
spotlight/flashlight that is "nominally" 9W, more like 12W in practice.
Total Light output, about 180 lumens.  A six cell Mag is rated at 106
lumens.  That said, you can also make things that are a lot less
"bright" than this.

> The automotive stuff is battery powered, and I'd hate to buy a bunch and
> cut them up to run DC wiring.
>
> The computer stuff is usually overpriced, or not quite the right thing
> for lighting an area or piece of equipment.
>
> I also would like to keep the lights hidden, or at least small.
>
> I've done some experiments which were OK, so now I'm looking to do
> something more permanent.
>
> Ideas or sources appreciated.

I do lighting with LEDs a fairly large amount, and know a lot about the
range of LEDs.  For this application, though, it sounds like you want
lighting that is more diffuse than directed.  The best deal there is
actually some breed of florescent, probably some small cold cathode
devices.  I don't have a really good picture of what you're talking
about, though, so I could be completely off-base.
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com>