[geeks] Stop-A?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri Mar 4 12:44:19 CST 2005

> Hey folks,
> I'm trying to reinstall a U10 that never gives a console
> login prompt and doesn't seem to respond to Stop-A from an
> attached keyboard.  Can anyone job my memory on how I can
> send it a Stop-A via serial console?
> I'm on the machine via telnet to a Cisco serial console
> server from a Cygwin xterm on a [sheepish] Windows box [/sheepish].

Well... There is a way to send ascii break, but you'll have to google
it. Cisco.com has a list of how to send break via various term software.
I think its in their howto on password recovery.

Unless /etc/kbd has been modified you can always wink DTR. One quick way
to do this is unplug your serial console cable.