[geeks] Home router/firewall

Atom rescue at port11.net
Tue Mar 1 10:47:53 CST 2005

Bill Bradford wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:15:25AM -0500, Atom wrote:
>

>>My WRT54G with Svaesoft firmware kept dieing on me. Actually the router
>>was working fine just the dhcp server stopped working. I reset it to
>>factory default and reloaded the firmware a bunch of times until I gave
>>up and gave it away. Also my powerbook with airport card did keep
>>loosing it's signal and I have to  powercycle the wrt54g. This is the
>>802.11b airport card and not the g one.
>>

>Never had this problem with the 54G.  Did you have the 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0
>version hardware?

I bought it like 4 month ago so I think it was the latest revision.
Maybe I had a faulty unit. With the DHCP I know all the machines on the
network lost their IP's after about 10-13 days (so I went static). With
the wireless it would happen at random that just my powerbook could not
join the network anymore whereas my roommates dell was fine. After
powercycling the wap54g my powerbook would be able to join the network
again. So I blame it on airport/linksys issues. Apple told me they heard
of similar reports of people having issues with the 802.11b airport card.

Now I have the Airport Express and everything works great.

-- Thomas