[geeks] Home router/firewall

Atom rescue at port11.net
Tue Mar 1 10:15:25 CST 2005

Bill Bradford wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:55:29AM -0600, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>

>>I'm in the market for a new firewall/router for the house.  I'd like
>>one that offers wireless so I can take advantage of the airport card in
>>my PowerBook, and of course at some point I need to SSH tunnel through
>>it to my network at home.  Cost under $100.
>>Recommendations? Anything I should stay away from?
>>

>Linksys WRT54G, with the Sveasoft (www.sveasoft.com) firmware.
>
>Some people here don't like James (Sveasoft) because of his licensing terms
>for his firmware (Released firmware is free, but if you want access to
>prerelease/development versions, its $20/year).
>
>I stay out of the licensing arguments, paid my $20, and this little embedded
>Linux box with custom firmware is the best "home router" I've ever used.
>Wireless (b & g), QoS (so BitTorrent and FTP doesn't kill my SSH sessions),
>etc..  I like it so much that I'm considering buying another in case Linksys/
>Cisco discontinues the model.
>
>WRT54G should be $50-65 online, access to the current prerelease Sveasoft
>firmware is $20/year, or you can download the Satori (4.x) version for free.
>
>Bill

My WRT54G with Svaesoft firmware kept dieing on me. Actually the router
was working fine just the dhcp server stopped working. I reset it to
factory default and reloaded the firmware a bunch of times until I gave
up and gave it away. Also my powerbook with airport card did keep
loosing it's signal and I have to  powercycle the wrt54g. This is the
802.11b airport card and not the g one.

-- Thomas