[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 31, Issue 8

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Mon Jun 27 01:21:29 CDT 2005

Firstly, sorry for the double posting. Internet Exploder + Careless User +
Crummy Netmail Interface == breakage.

David Cummings <real.psyence at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.winpcap.org/windump/
> tcpdump compatible network sniffer/analyzer
I've already found EtherSnoop (arechisoft), but if that doesn't do it, I'll
try.

"Anthony" <geeks at litfire.com> wrote:
> If all you're trying to do is boot the Sun from the P90 without
> messing up your Win95 install, you could consider booting off a
> "live CD" running Linux or *BSD...
Hmm, then I'd either also have to do my developement work under
that "live CD" OS, or reboot for each test launch of the SPARC,
then again for editing and recompiling...

"Mike Hebel" <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
> Just in my travels I ran across this:
>

> http://www.tellurian.com.au/products/bootpdNT.php
>

> I've never used it myself because I've always had a
> non-Windows to netboot from. But for $1 AU it's hard
> to pass up on trying it.

Whew, that looks quite promising!

However it's "AU$1 per client in lots of 50 clients".

There's also a trial version that is said to run for 7
hours. If it's "7 hours, then needs a reboot" or some
such, that would be okay (my computer seldom runs that
long at once). If it times out after a total of 7 hours
running time, then - no.

Mike Meredith <mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:05:40 +1000, Scott Howard wrote:
> > Basically, it's not going to work.  If you can get the
> > rarp/bootparams/rftp side of things working (and all of those are
> > certainly possibly) there are no NFS servers out there which are able
> > to serve out a Solaris root directory, including things like device
> > files, case sensitivity, etc.
>
> I thought he wasn't planning to boot Solaris or anything Unix-like at
> all ... just his own code.

Yep, that's right. I'm just using the NetBSD netboot image to test my setup
before I start coding my own stuff.

I have contacted Lewis Perin (the guy who wrote billgPC and the WinNT/2000
rarpd) and he said he'd assist somebody willing to port the rarpd to Win9x,
but not do the work all by himself. I'm trying to find out how much work
that means and how much skill it involves, then see if I can find somebody
able to do it, or even do it myself. If anybody here's also interested, I'll
gladly coordinate...

Yours sincerely,

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen