[geeks] Can I netboot a SPARCclassic from Win95 box?

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Fri Jun 24 01:00:14 CDT 2005

Thanks for your takes at that problem, among which were:

David Cummings <real.psyence at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is most likely a way to do what you want, though I doubt
> anyone has tried recently. I've netbooted a SSLX not a week ago,
> though all the servers (rarpd/dhcpd/tftpd) were linux based.
Hmm, I thought so: "1337 H4x0Rz do it with Linux"...

> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-netboot-howto.xml
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.sun.html
Quite useful resources, thanks.

> It's still a flaky process.
Good to know anyway...

> beyond that, a quick google turned up this windows bootp server
> for win95, and possibly a rarpd server:
> http://www.panix.com/~perin/
Yes, that was the thingie I had already found. It only works with
Windows 2000/NT but doesn't want to start on 9x.

> Some dhcp servers can also serve bootp and rarpd. Look around in
> the features of a couple comprehensive ones and I'm sure you can
> find something that will work.
Hopefully. However it looks like rarp was no longer in high demand
when Win95's user base grew... Like I said: Most people wanting to
netboot a Sun either do so in a network with another one as a server,
or they're hackers enough to own a linux box.

Mike Meredith <mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > complains about "Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet". I suppose
> > there should be something like an RARP server running on the PC,
>
> Definitely. Later Suns support booting with BOOTP/DHCP but most
> need RARP. Incidentally if you haven't already, get some sort of
> packet sniffer ... something like Ethereal might be overkill for
> the PC you have, but *something* to see what's going down on the
> wire is pretty essential for this sort of stuff.

Hmm, I'll go looking. I think I have something (maybe called
EtherDump?) buried somewhere, but IIRC that forces me to set up a
DOS machine with the crynwyr (sp?) packet drivers. Perhaps there's something
around that will also run under Win95.

I'll report back when I've found something possibly helpful...

Thanks, so long

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen

Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail gratis + 3 Ausgaben stern gratis
++ Jetzt anmelden & testen ++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail ++