[geeks] New lamps for ... er, large UPS for smaller

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Mon Jun 20 08:59:27 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:33:48AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Here we are, getting established in New Hampshire.  We have with us here
> a fully functional SU3000RM that has now made a round trip from Hew
> hampshire to North Carolina and back to New Hampshire ... and we can't
> use it.  There isn't a circuit in the house rated for enough current to
> plug it into -- it's a 120V UPS, but requires a 30A outlet.

You might consider just changing the plug or making an adapter pigtail.
So long as your 20A house receptacle has suitable gauge wire and is properly
protected by a 20A breaker or fuse, and so long as you do not plug more
than 20A worth of load into the UPS (allowing a couple Amps for UPS
charging current), I don't see a down-side to the UPS being rated
at a greater than required capacity.

Note that the UPS alone doesn't draw 30A, it is just capable of a (near)
30A load, and has an internal 30A breaker.  I suppose if you want to
be super conservative, you could replace the internal UPS breaker with
one rated 20A.

> We offer this SU3000RM in trade for a working 120V SU2200RM, which will

I'll include the disclaimer that this is my personal opinion; take it
for what it's worth.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)