[geeks] Adobe's Software Activation

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 21:00:04 CST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:05:35 -0600, Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com> wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > ...at which point I get a crack and no longer have to deal with that
> > crap.
>
> ... which is the whole reason vendors started using product activation
> in the first place.

umm...that's kind of a chicken/egg argument.

People have been breaking copy protection since the software industry
got the wild idea that "millions" were being lost on copied software.
The real losses in software piracy are to businesses--funny thing is,
enterprise copies of software are generally not copy protected.
Explain that one for me, please.

The reality of it is, there are no figures to back up their claim of
"millions lost" in the consumer market.  If there was "uncrackable"
software, the majority of those people who get cracked copies just
wouldn't buy it.  That does not equate to "lost sales."  Likewise, the
RIAA's figures are equally bogus.

And in fact, if you look at the statistics published by the RIAA in
support of their "losses" an analysis of the data shows that they make
more profit per release now.  Sales have only gone down something like
4%, but the number of actual releases has gone down almost 1/3.

http://www.azoz.com/music/features/0008.html

It's all FUD to agitate the governments of the world into helping the
IP-hording multi-national corporations monopolize and consolidate
their control over the creative processes of the masses even further
than they already have.

=Nadine=