[geeks] FYI: Neat wireless MP3 player for home

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 24 20:44:17 CST 2005

Hello all,

Today I picked up a nice little MP3 player at CompUSA, the Netgear MP101, currently on sale for $50 After Rebate (like $129 before two rebates).

I opened the box, fired it up, installed the software on a WinXP machine (my media archive box), and after it found all my music I was ready to go.

It found my wireless network no problem, got an IP address from my DHCP server, and then found my music "server". In under 15 minutes I was streaming music to my stereo - very nice.

Now, if you were paying attention, you need a PC (Win98SE or better), existing wireless network (or wired, it has an Ethernet port on the back too), and a DHCP server to make it all work. And luckily, all my music is in 160K MP3 format, so it is supported by the unit. The machine only supports MP3 up to 320 Kb/s and WMA 8 or 9 up to 192 Kb/s.

The link to it at CompUSA is here:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310291&pfp=SEARCH

Over a Amazon the reviews are mixed, but I think most folks only review if they have problems.

The unit I got was $130, less $25 CompUSA rebate (limit 1 rebate) and $55 Netgear rebate (up to 3 rebates) - I think this was a great deal, I got two ;^) On sale through Saturday, IIRC.

Thought folks would be interested,

Lionel