[geeks] LCD display options

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Feb 24 09:33:29 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:05:25PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 00:36 -0500, velociraptor wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:36:57 -0500, Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com>wrote:
>>> I'm lookingto get a couple LCD monitors fairly soon here to replace a
>>> couple failing CRTs.  I need 17" at a minimum.  Any suggestions?
>>> Budget is limited to under $300 each.
>>
>> If you are planning on any gaming at all on these, pay attention to
>> pixel refresh rate and go for the lowest you can afford.  You will likely
>> have to search for that on-line; few of the boxes/signs on products in
>> stores have this listed in my experience.
>
> Lowest pixel refresh rate?  Specified in units of frequency, I assume?
> I don't quite grok.  Or is this specified in units of time, so that you
> want the shortest time between refreshes?
> 	Greg

It's specified in units of time.  If you look at the spec sheets for the
LCD monitors, they print the pixel refresh times in ms.  For gaming, you
want something around 12ms or so.

For text work, or anything that you don't mind a little ghosting, the
cheaper ones that push closer to 20ms are fine.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org