[geeks] Typography Question

James Fogg james at jdfogg.com
Wed Feb 23 21:02:55 CST 2005

> I dunno.  Computer Modern is an okay typeface, but next to stuff like
> this, it's a cheap parlour trick.
>
> Does any one know of a source for lookalikes of these older typefaces?

Look-alikes aren't alike. And that is why they look cheap.

True classic typefaces (a font is a typeface in a particular size) are
still available. Look at Century Schoolbook as a possible candidate for
your IBM material.

And apparently the copyright holders of the classic typefaces have been
enforcing their rights as I've noticed that they've disappeared from
modern software and have been replaced with freebie knockoff typefaces.

There is actually a large body of knowledge on the use of typefaces.
Through the ages a lot of thought has gone into typefaces and the
appropriate uses of each style.