[geeks] LCD display options

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Feb 23 10:32:04 CST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:36:40AM -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:36:57 -0500, Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:
> > I'm lookingto get a couple LCD monitors fairly soon here to replace a
> > couple failing CRTs.  I need 17" at a minimum.  Any suggestions?
> > Budget is limited to under $300 each.
>
> If you are planning on any gaming at all on these, pay attention to
> pixel refresh rate and go for the lowest you can afford.  You will likely
> have to search for that on-line; few of the boxes/signs on products in
> stores have this listed in my experience.

Pixel refresh rate?  LCDs don't need to refresh.  They just hold the
image until the next comes along.

I thought the thing for LCDs was the pixel response time.  I wouldn't
expect better than 16ms on an affordable LCD.  If your display can take
a 72hz signal, but still only has a 16ms response time, you haven't
gained anything over running it at 60hz, display quality wise.

And unlike CRTs, LCDs will also look very good at refresh rates like
48khz.

Which, BTW, is potentially very handy for an O2, where you can do
1600x1200, but only by accepting a refresh rate like 56hz.  Murder to
look at on a CRT, but should be no problem on an LCD (note, I haven't
actually tested that since I don't have an LCD that can do 1600x1200).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/