[geeks] Adobe's Software Activation

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Feb 22 14:53:03 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:31:54PM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> My understanding is that when you activate, the vendor (Adobe, MS, etc)
> stores your 'machine ID', your product serial number and the fact that
> you've activated. When you rebuild your system and reinstall your app,
> you enter your serial number, the app calls home, sees that it's a
> reinstall on a machine with the same machine ID and activates. This is why
> reinstalls on the same hardware work - the machine ID algorithm results in
> the same ID.

Generaly it does not matter what the machine ID is. If it gets used more than
once, it's assumed to be a reinstall. If it gets used too any times
(microsoft allows 3 times), you are asked to call customer support.

Geoff.
IL Voice: 972-2-679-6896  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoIP (Email to schedule) Free World Dialup: 523178  Skype: gsmendelson