[geeks] Re: [rescue] Solaris 10 puzzle

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Feb 22 08:41:34 CST 2005

" From: adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: Mike Parson <mparson at bl.org>
" "
" " What's PS1 set to?
" "
" " I've seen people that want the hostname in their prompt put something
" " like `hostname -s` in PS1, but when the used sudo or su2, that suddenly
" " got run as root and changed the hostname to -s.
" "
" " []
"
" there's no need to run any command every prompt, in ksh anyway.  maybe
" in csh but not in tcsh.
"
" i run ksh, have since ksh86 was new.  in my .profile, i have:
"
" []
"
" it works on sunos [with ksh88], solaris, hp-ux 9 and 10, and sco
" unixware 7.  i haven't tested it on aix or irix, but anything with
" ksh88 or ksh93 [incl. dtksh] and a valid terminfo should work; red
" hat linux comes with a default bash prompt that functions a -lot-
" like this...

forgot to add - works on apple osx with ksh93 from research.att.com.