[geeks] call for help (fwd)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Feb 20 21:20:53 CST 2005

Wed, 16 Feb 2005 @ 21:36 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> I'm sure many of you remember Dave McGuire, formerly of this list.  I
> thought this might be of interest, especially given how popular GoDaddy
> is in the techie circles.
>
> Unfortunately, this won't get resolved as quickly as the Panix thing did
> a few months back, as Dave's mom's company isn't nearly as large as
> them.

[ snip cry for help ]

That sucks... I was thinking of using them pretty soon to host a couple
of domains mainly because others seemed to like them and had good
results.

What scares me about things like this is that once again, private
companies are operating with no regard for the technical issues.

DNS is a network foundation service, and screwing with it is bloody
stupid.

When I hear about things like this, I brace myself for other problems.

One thing which I don't believe is happening yet, but which I predict
will eventually:

DNS services will start blocking name resolution for domains hosted by
their competition.  Basically, a mirror of the stupid chat protocol
wars, and similar idiocy.

I just know its going to happen.

Aside:

Since this is going to cause financial losses, and it is the result of
malice/error/stupidity by a service provider, shouldn't Dave's mom have
a pretty good civil case against GoDaddy?

Granted, legal action sucks, but if really does do that much financial
damage...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The determined programmer can write a
FORTRAN program in any language." ]