[geeks] Opinions on Pegasos?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Feb 18 12:29:30 CST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:42:49 -0500
David Cummings <real.psyence at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been intrigued by that for some time. Unfortunately, the specs
> aren't terribly intriguing, and the design doesn't seem to have been
> updated in some time.
Yes. At first sight it looks like a nice piece of hardware, but upon
closer inspection there are too many "Eww, why did they do this?". It is
really a true Comodore successor...

> ...not to mention their site is a pain and a half!
They also fsck(8)ed the person who started a OpenBSD port big time.
(Contracted him but without paying him at the end...)

> Still, it's the closest thing to commodity PPC hardware,
> excluding IBM and Apple's money-hungry versions. Heck, just grab an
> Xbox2 when it comes out later this year, if the rumors were correct,
> it'll have a fair bit of Power power :-) . (just hope it doesn't go up
> in flames...)
The XBox2 will be PPC based? Ewww. This sounds like I have to get a
peice of M$ hardware. ;-)

There is the Mac mini also. About the same cost as the PegasosII G4.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen