[geeks] Carly's Gone!!!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Feb 10 22:02:33 CST 2005

Thu, 10 Feb 2005 @ 18:26 -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez said:

> > Is this the same HyperTransport that VIA and AMD are using on the AMD64
> > motherboards?
>
> Theoretically HyperTransport was an industry standard so I dunno if Alpha
> was the originator of the technology.

It's also possible that they are just using the name for something
totally different.

> > If this actually pans out, maybe the PC will finally get some rational
> > I/O on the motherboard.
>
> Well that is theoretically what PCI-Express is supposed to achive, is a
> switched connection fabric between CPU/Chipset/Memory/IO, pretty neat
> stuff...

Well, PCI wasn't supposed to have been exposed as a mezzanine bus at
all, but a chip interconnect.  It wasn't good enough for a system bus,
and got morphed into a mezzanine bus.

I thought PCI-X was basically just an improved mezzanine bus, not a
motherboard I/O subsystem.

I didn't realize it was supposed to be a whole system thing.

Right now it seems like it isn't used for anything except graphics
cards.

Are any non-x86 vendors using it?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]