[geeks] Carly's Gone!!!

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Feb 10 10:40:07 CST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:12:40 -0500
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> I'd be happier about that idea if the Prism had IR[234] graphics
> instead of UV.  UV looks and sounds fairly nasty, even if it does have
> some interesting capabilities that IR doesn't (namely, vertex and
> pixel shaders).
To be honest: I have no knowledge about computer graphics, 3D and the
like. I just want a fast desktop machine with good (2D) X11 support that
isn't cheap PeeCee crap. Ideally running NetBSD.

I have a HP9000 B2000 in the pipeline. Nice and capable hardware, but
HP-sUX or Linsux is no bright view OS wise...

The Octane is nice. But waiting a hour for gcc to finish a NetBSD kernel
cross compile after I had to modify intr.h or cpu.h is quite boring. Not
to talk about building a full release.

Something annoying in addition:
[jkunz at Zimbo jkunz]$ xclock
Xlib: Did not parse entire setup message: parsed: 848, message: 1600
Error: Can't open display: MrPomeroy:0.0
[jkunz at Zimbo jkunz]$ uname -srm
NetBSD 2.0 sparc64
[jkunz at MrPomeroy jkunz]$ uname -srm
IRIX64 6.5 IP30
[jkunz at MrPomeroy jkunz]$ /usr/gfx/gfxinfo
Graphics board 0 is "IMPACTSR" graphics.
        Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
        Product ID 0x3, 2 GEs, 2 REs, 0 TRAMs
        MGRAS revision 4, RA revision 0
        HQ rev B, GE12 rev A, RE4 rev C, PP1 rev H,
        VC3 rev A, CMAP rev F, Heart rev F
        21" monitor (id 0xb)

        Channel 0:
         Origin = (0,0)
         Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 75.92Hz (1280x1024_76)
Graphics board 1 is "IMPACTSR" graphics.
        Managed (":0.1") 1280x1024
        Product ID 0x2, 1 GE, 1 RE, 0 TRAMs
        MGRAS revision 4, RA revision 0
        HQ rev B, GE12 rev A, RE4 rev C, PP1 rev H,
        VC3 rev A, CMAP rev F, Heart rev F
        21" monitor (id 0xb)

        Channel 0:
         Origin = (0,0)
         Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 75.92Hz (1280x1024_76)

(I am useing Xinerama. This does not happen without Xinerama.)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen