[geeks] GigE and Switches

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Tue Feb 8 16:25:43 CST 2005

Is there a performance difference between having a switch with
one GigE port built-in and several 100baseT ports and having one
small GigE switch patched into a 100baseT switch via a 100baseT
port?

I have one file server that has a GigE NIC and all my client
workstations and switches are 100baseT.  I'm looking for the
cheapest way to fully utilize the GigE NIC in the server.

My options are buying a new switch that has one or two GigE ports
or just buying a small GigE switch and patching it into our
current stack of switches.

Thanks,
/KRM